Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Days Off Are Great

I need to live in a country where it's required that you take time off. A full-on shut down of the workplace.

The hard-working culture of the U.S. can be horribly frustrating- the constant need to be in touch with work, working when your day is done, checking e-mail at home, having your work phone always at your side. Last time I checked, nothing earth shattering happened from someone taking a day off (in most normal, day to day careers).

I try my hardest to change this hunger for being the best, most hard-working employee. Though I reach very few people successfully in my "take a day off" encouragement, those who learn how important time away from work is are always appreciative. In my experience, working with college students and in higher education there are a lot of demands for a-typical work hours, but I think it's important to do what you can to make it as typical as possible!

I had a dentist appointment this morning, but took the whole day as a reward for doing a good thing. I got to go home and visit my mom and sister...I finished my new website, took pictures, made earrings, enjoyed some food, and played some Bananagrams. And, in case you are wondering, my teeth are cavity free!

Take a day off some time in the next couple of weeks. And on your day off, stay away from work for as long as possible. Your e-mail won't explode. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment