Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Quit Claiming You Are "Too Busy"!

"I'm so sorry I haven't called you lately, I've been so busy!"

How often is this used as an excuse for not doing something as simple as calling a friend or family member to just see how they are doing?  My opinion: you're only as busy as you want to be.  You can make time for anything you really, truly want to do.

I type this during one of my busiest times of the semester.. *happy dance* closing the residence hall.  I wanted to write this post, so I made time to do it.  Being busy is inevitable, but let's be honest...how many of you are actually doing something every waking minute that prevents you from taking time for a loved one?

Consider multitasking a bit.  I am on lunch right now.  Rather than mindlessly stalking Facebook, I decided to write this post.  Want to meet up with a friend?  Make plans to cook dinner together or go out for a bite to eat...everyone has to have a meal.  Need to do some shopping?  Invite a friend along.

I believe it's impossible to be so busy every single day of the week that you cannot take out some time to do something for others or with others.  The next time you tell someone "I'm so sorry I haven't called you lately, I've been so busy", stop and ask yourself if you really were too busy...or if you just didn't care enough to find the time.  Then say something honest like "It completely slipped my mind to give you a call".  That is far more believable in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment