Thursday, October 14, 2010

Weather Worries

I have no control over the weather.  Neither do you.  Sorry.  

Though, we worry about the weather sometimes more than we worry about the things we have total control over.

As I watched the local news from about 5-6:30pm tonight I lost count of how many times the weather report came on.  It was a mix between a quick update showing a blue, green, and yellow filled Doppler radar, the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, and the forecast for the weekend, and the forecast for the next week.  What is funny is time and time again I've sat there watching the weather on TV, hit refresh a million times on the radar page, hoping that something would change or that the beautiful brown of the clear radar would stay.  As good ole Dave Longley tells me to make sure I bring a jacket to the Chief's game, get my mowing done before 7pm tonight, or to keep my outdoor picnic plans for the weekend I find myself saying "yeah, ok Dave...we'll see about that" because so often their predictions are so off!  I can't even begin to count the times they've majorly messed up on their forecast even when they're talking about the very next day.  Nothing annoys me more than "today is going to be a beautiful day all over Central NY" and I look out my window and see the telltale signs of rain.  And how many times do they predict a gorgeous 4th of July weekend a week prior, only to have it be a complete stormy washout?  What about those times they predict a horrendous, dangerous snowstorm where you wake up to schools already being closed, only to find out as the day goes on it really wasn't so bad?

But I still sit and watch.  Goodness, I often find myself pretending to be a weatherman, telling people to just wait and the weather is going to clear up and the temperatures are supposed to increase.  I'm sure you still watch to.  And chances are, we complain about it.

Could you imagine having a job like that?  You make more mistakes, lie, and change your report almost daily and yet you still keep your job?  Maybe I should try it out sometime, see how far I get..."No, supervisor, I did not use the Residence Life purchase account to get my groceries at Tops"........"No I am not letting random people sleep in the empty beds in my building"...."Oh, I thought I was supposed to give the locked out student my Master key to get into their room".....I don't think I'd get very far.

I'll probably watch the 11 o'clock news tonight long enough to see the weather forecast.  But really, the most it is going to do is help me decide what to wear and if I should grab an umbrella.  But I'll still complain about the fact that it's raining.  The fact is, I wouldn't be able to get beautiful waterfall photos if it didn't rain every so often.

My suggestion:  find something more useful to worry about.  Maybe you'll solve world hunger.  Maybe I should take my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment