Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Think Whatever You Want...Just Don't Say It

When it comes to our competition, why is it we always fight dirty?  Why do we always identify what is wrong with the other person?  Why not focus on why we are the better option?  Why do so many people talk negatively about others?  Why not focus on the positive things?  Why are we so judgmental?

We are well into campaign season for the upcoming November elections.  Any time you turn the television on you are likely to see some form of campaign commercial.  I honestly can't think of a single campaign commercial that I have seen where I heard all about what the candidate is going to do if elected.  Instead, they dig up the nastiness that their opponent has in their closet...lies they have told, things that they have which don't add up, why their ideas are awful.  It's tiring to listen to all of them.  Just once I'd like to just hear the positive reasons for why I should vote for the candidate.

How often do you find yourself slamming your opponent?  Whether it is a co-worker you're neck in neck with for attention, your competition for a position, the "other" person that your romantic interest talks to, or someone someone who might do something better than you...do you find the faults of that other person and/or their work?

Something I would like to try to do more is focus on solely what makes me the better option when I feel like I'm in a situation where a choice has to be made.  I might quietly consider the faults of the other person, but anything I say out loud should be positive things about me.  I challenge you to do the same.  It's not easy.  Sometimes it could be a little more fun to discuss the faults of the other person, but focusing on what makes you the better option will be more rewarding in the end.

I always try to find the good in others.  I'm the kind of person who will give someone the benefit of the doubt, come up with excuses for a negative behavior, or justify why someone did what they did.  It's not always a strength, but I think it makes me feel more human.  I know that I would like to think that people I interact with would do that for me, so I try to do it for others.  Give it a try sometime.

While growing up, my mom always told me to "think whatever you want, just don't say it".  This is something I try to live by and I wish more people did.  Maybe better things will happen in your life.  After all, positivity breeds positivity, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment